The Life of a Journalism Student

The life of a journalism student at UF is challenging. I find myself spending countless hours in the newsroom improving my craft and creating content for WUFT. One of my favorite things about the program is the immersion experiences. My sophomore year, I started working for ESPN Gainesville WRUF as a radio anchor and multimedia sports journalist. Every Friday night I would travel to local high school football games writing articles and shooting video for the First at Five show.

Eventually, I had the opportunity to serve as the beat reporter for the Florida basketball and gymnastics teams. I was responsible for attending every home game/meet and providing live and pre-recorded content for our target audience on multimedia platforms
My love for journalism and content creation only grew as I gained more experience. This past spring break, I had the opportunity to be in Barcelona during the most recent Clásico. While the match was in Madrid, I interviewed locals about the cultural and political significance of FC Barcelona. I used the skills I learned from my experiences at UF and applied them on the field–in a different country–and it was amazing to see my hard work come to fruition.


I attribute my academic knowledge to the skills the Center of Media Innovation and Research equipped me with during my time at UF. Faculty and professors continuously push us to think of innovative ways to create compelling storytelling content. Now, with the rise of social media, the newsroom managers require us to look for ways to push out content on social media. I am so excited to see the growth of progress of the college in the years to come! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

About Me

Crafting the Perfect Résumé